Wednesday

Bartering For the Environment

I’ve been an advocate of bartering for many years, emphasizing the advantages for both consumers and business owners. We know that exchanging of goods and services is an innovative way to save money but that isn’t the only benefit, bartering also lends a helping hand to the environment.
We’ve all heard the saying “Someone’s trash is another’s treasure”, well this so called “trash” can be put to good use for someone else and can steer clear of our landfills. Both communities and businesses have stepped up when it comes to re-using, reducing and recycling. Re-using an item is definitely what bartering is all about. We've all heard; "no one will use this" or "it's broken, might as well throw it away", but there's lots of people out there that are pretty handy when it comes to fixing things and could use that item.
I remember years ago, my uncle (a Mr. Fix It) used to tell us not to throw out electronics that we no longer wanted or that no longer worked. Instead, he would take them and repair them. In return, my Aunt would always give me loads of fresh vegetables from her garden. I kept these v.c.r.'s, d.v.d. players and t.v.'s out of the landfill while my family enjoyed fresh produce. He enjoyed his hobby and had a nice little set up in his entertainment room. I won, he won and the environment won. Can't beat that.
Barb Di Renzo

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Where Small Businesses Think Big